Thursday 31 January 2013

Why I Want To Study Journalism


I want to study journalism because, I have a great passion for this discipline which I developed interest in while at high school. I was in my upper sixth form when I realized I was good at constructing English essays. Some of the essays were very, good and creative to the extent that I was encouraged by my teacher and class mates to have them published in one of the main local newspaper in my country in Zimbabwe. To my surprise the editor agreed to publish the articles which focused on issues which affected high school students. Secondly my ear for news and writing about things that happen around me and a keen interest in current issues I read and hear on television and read in the newspapers and internet has developed the capacity to analyze with a critical mind the current state of affairs of things around me and the world at large.
For me to become a prolific writer, improve on my creativity and resourcefulness and set myself on a journey to become a professional journalist, I feel I need to study for a full journalism course which I am confident I will complete and pass. A trained journalist supports his writings with facts derived from asking the right questions which relate to the situation or problem being written about. Also a trained journalist is able to predict or gauge the likely course or behavior of developing events. As once stated by one Australian journalist, ‘’It is not enough for journalists to see themselves as mere messengers without understanding the hidden agendas of the message and myths that surround it’’ For a journalist to be able to see himself as more than a messenger and understand the agendas hidden in the message, he has to be appropriately trained and be prepared for news opportunities as well.
For one to be a good journalist, he must be a good networker and also must be a good researcher. These two attributes help in basing stories on relevant facts. I strongly believe that Journalism is the activity of writing or presenting stories in newspapers or news networks which contain true information about the society the journalist is writing about and informing.
I have noticed that some ‘journalists’ or rather news writers publish false information to please influential members of the society. My view on this is that, journalist who act in this manner which shows bad ethics are not properly trained. As a future professional journalist, I see myself after training and graduating being true to the profession through educating, entertaining, informing and correctly influencing society based on correct journalistic ethics.   
After training and working as a journalist I also hope to travel and see the world, understanding other cultures and peoples and bridge the gap between these different cultures and push the message that diversity should not drive adversity but should drive peace and good neighborliness
Why do I really want to study Journalism? I think it’s a great profession and it will make me pursue my reading and writing passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment